Ever have one of those days that just starts off so insanely crappy? My dog had a seizure at 6 am, and that set the tone for my morning. I believe in the power of positive thinking and that happiness is a choice and blah blah blah. With that in mind, I told myself that no matter what, I was going to try to make this a good day.
So I put together a list of 5 Happy Thoughts for Thursday. These are the things that are making me smile and smiling releases endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t kill their husbands. Wait, what?
1) Did you hear about Mama Jade? When I first read her story, I cried my face off. How anyone could be so cruel to an animal is beyond me. But now she’s with some very loving people with access to proper veterinary care. Her second chance at life is beautiful, and I want to hug the people helping her. Knowing that there are still good people out there is great reason to smile.
2) Apparently I still look young enough to get carded at tailgates.
Last weekend at the Jaguars game tailgate, Ashley and I got carded. None of the guys got carded, just us. Gender profiling! Regardless, I will cry when I stop getting carded.
3) The weather! I’m starting to feel Fall in the air. It’s not a bazillion degrees, and I sometimes need a light jacket/sweater when I take Kayne outside in the morning. I even wore a cardigan for a little while during the tailgate (as evidenced above). I like it. Keep it coming, Mother Nature!
4) These two:
The love they have for each other makes my heart happy.
5) This guy:
It’s his birthday next week, and he just has no idea what all I have up my sleeve. Mwhahaha. He’s going to kill me.
What’s making you happy this week?
Oh hi there, October. Where did you come from? Seriously, where did the past year go? A year ago today, I started my new job! I know I’ve rambled recently about how much my life has changed in a year, and sometimes I still can’t believe how lucky I am.
You know what else makes me feel lucky? Living in a world where Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats exist.
Not gonna lie… Chomp Chomp doesn’t exactly look appealing on the outside. Nestled in a tiny strip along Adams Street, this hole-in-the-wall is a diamond in the rough. I’d heard about it from friends and co-workers, but despite working Downtown for a year (I can’t believe it’s been a year already!), I hadn’t made it down there yet.
Here’s a couple things you need to know:
1) This place is TINY. It sits about 8-10 inside people very, very tightly. There are a few tables outside, but considering it’s Florida and it’s still hotter than hell, I suggest grabbing your food to go.
2) The menu changes frequently (which is why you can’t find it online).
We need to talk about my new favorite thing.
A few weeks ago, I signed up for Black Hog Farm‘s Farm-to-Door Membership. The farm, located just south of Jacksonville in East Palatka, offers an online ordering service for locally grown produce, grass-fed meats, eggs, and even Bold Bean Coffee Roasters coffee beans. Then, you can either have it delivered to you (depending on your location) or pick it up at one of their designated spots. Best part? No commitment. You control how often you get boxes and if you want other goodies - all you need is a $20 minimum order. Currently, I have mine set up for a box every other week.
Needless to say, it’s pretty cool (and fairly affordable!).
1) It’s not even October yet, and I’ve already had about a dozen Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Yeah. It’s a problem. I was the freak there the minute Starbucks announced the “PSL10″ password to get them early. I brought them to the girls at work. Then I was there the next day ordering another one. And probably the next day. And for my birthday. And yesterday. Send help.
2) Have you heard about ConvergeFL? While web design and development isn’t really my thing, the conference has been such a source of inspiration and creativity for me. I’ve learned a lot of great lessons about getting shit done, and found so many of the speakers to be so inspiring.
3) WHY IS IT SO HOT OUTSIDE? I’m over it. I’m supposed to be training for my Thanksgiving half marathon, but motivating myself to run in the heat is so difficult. Runs over 3-4 miles are a struggle, but I know it’s going to get better as soon as it cools off. I just have to be patient.
4) I had poutine for the first time my birthday weekend.
I don’t know how on earth I went 29 years before trying this delicacy, but my life is forever changed. GRAVY AND CHEESE ON FRIES? Done. I think poutine and prosecco is my new power meal.
5) I joined Black Hog Farms! I’m stoked to get fresh produce and grass-fed meats, and I got my first box last week. I plan on writing about it soon.
Have a great Friday!
Disclaimer: Whole Foods paid me in cheese to write this post. Don’t judge… You wouldn’t say no either. Opinions are my own.
Do you believe the moon is made of cheese? I don’t. But I do think that in Heaven, you get an unlimited supply of glorious, stinky cheese. In my version of Heaven, there would always be red wine flowing and delicious charcuterie plates available for enjoying. And the best part? You’d never suffer any of the negative effects and calories don’t exist in my Heaven.
I guess that makes the cheese section at Whole Foods Market in Jacksonville Heaven on Earth.