Ever have one of those days that just starts off so insanely crappy? My dog had a seizure at 6 am, and that set the tone for my morning. I believe in the power of positive thinking and that happiness is a choice and blah blah blah. With that in mind, I told myself that no matter what, I was going to try to make this a good day.
So I put together a list of 5 Happy Thoughts for Thursday. These are the things that are making me smile and smiling releases endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t kill their husbands. Wait, what?
1) Did you hear about Mama Jade? When I first read her story, I cried my face off. How anyone could be so cruel to an animal is beyond me. But now she’s with some very loving people with access to proper veterinary care. Her second chance at life is beautiful, and I want to hug the people helping her. Knowing that there are still good people out there is great reason to smile.
2) Apparently I still look young enough to get carded at tailgates.
Last weekend at the Jaguars game tailgate, Ashley and I got carded. None of the guys got carded, just us. Gender profiling! Regardless, I will cry when I stop getting carded.
3) The weather! I’m starting to feel Fall in the air. It’s not a bazillion degrees, and I sometimes need a light jacket/sweater when I take Kayne outside in the morning. I even wore a cardigan for a little while during the tailgate (as evidenced above). I like it. Keep it coming, Mother Nature!
4) These two:
The love they have for each other makes my heart happy.
5) This guy:
It’s his birthday next week, and he just has no idea what all I have up my sleeve. Mwhahaha. He’s going to kill me.
What’s making you happy this week?
1) It’s not even October yet, and I’ve already had about a dozen Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Yeah. It’s a problem. I was the freak there the minute Starbucks announced the “PSL10″ password to get them early. I brought them to the girls at work. Then I was there the next day ordering another one. And probably the next day. And for my birthday. And yesterday. Send help.
2) Have you heard about ConvergeFL? While web design and development isn’t really my thing, the conference has been such a source of inspiration and creativity for me. I’ve learned a lot of great lessons about getting shit done, and found so many of the speakers to be so inspiring.
3) WHY IS IT SO HOT OUTSIDE? I’m over it. I’m supposed to be training for my Thanksgiving half marathon, but motivating myself to run in the heat is so difficult. Runs over 3-4 miles are a struggle, but I know it’s going to get better as soon as it cools off. I just have to be patient.
4) I had poutine for the first time my birthday weekend.
I don’t know how on earth I went 29 years before trying this delicacy, but my life is forever changed. GRAVY AND CHEESE ON FRIES? Done. I think poutine and prosecco is my new power meal.
5) I joined Black Hog Farms! I’m stoked to get fresh produce and grass-fed meats, and I got my first box last week. I plan on writing about it soon.
Have a great Friday!
Tomorrow I turn 29. I’m not really one of those people that’s upset about getting closer to 30 (until Austin makes old lady jokes…) because I don’t really see 30 as OMGOLD. There are still times when I think to myself, “What, I’m an adult already? How did THAT happen?”
Overall, I’m really happy with where I am in my life: I have a great job, fantastic friends, spoiled rotten furbabies, and a not-too-shabby boyfriend. Even so, there are a few things I’d like to accomplish before I turn 30. I’m not really sure if you can consider some of these as accomplishments or just random items to check off a list. Either way, I’d like to get them done.
1) Complete a Triathlon – I’ve been saying I want to do a tri for a few years now. The time is now. No more excuses because I know I could totally knock out a sprint tri and I need to conquer my fear of open water swimming.
2) Go Skiing – I’ve never been skiing. Granted, I grew up in Florida, but still. I should’ve gone skiing by now.
3) Visit Every Microbrewery in Jacksonville – I’ve been to Intuition, Bold City, Seven Bridges, and Pinglehead but I’ve yet to make it to Mile Marker, Engine 15, Green Room and whatever others I might be missing.
4) Pay Off My Credit Cards – Yeah, I just put on my big girl panties with that one. I know that I’m lucky to not be very in debt, but there’s no point in carrying balances when I shouldn’t have to.
5) Run a Sub-30 5k – I’ve been working on this goal for a while, and I feel like this year is my year. Going into Fall, I’m running faster than I have previous years. It’s within my reach. Time to make it mine.
1) Garnier Clinical Dark Spot Corrector (affiliate link) – After going through treatment for acne earlier this year, I found I had some skin discoloration. I bought this product after seeing it on the shelf at CVS, and I was thrilled with the results. It evened out my skin tone, and
2) e.l.f. Eyebrow Kit (affiliate link) – I’m a firm believer that you should never trust someone with bad eyebrows. I love this kit because it has both a gel and a powder, which work together perfectly to fill eyebrows and keep them in place. Plus, it’s $3.
3) Diorshow Waterproof Mascara (affiliate link) – Every time I wear this mascara, I get asked if my lashes are real.
4) Bumble and Bumble Styling Creme (affiliate link) – Florida humidity sucks, and this product gives my hair the texture and hold it needs when I curl it with my wand. Bonus points for not being sticky and keeping my hair soft.
5) Cornstarch(affiliate link) – My friend Sarah turned me onto this one after a salesgirl at Sephora told her this trick. By dusting a bit of cornstarch over your foundation, and it helps your make up stay in place all day… even in the hot Florida sun. Plus, it makes your face feel velvety.
Game day is finally here, and I’m pretty stoked! Yes, it’s only the pre-season, but I’m excited to see my Jags. With that in mind, I figured I’d share my 5 Favorite Things About Football Season!
1) Beer – Duh. While I can be a craft beer snob at times, when it comes to tailgating, I’m not afraid to show my love with PBR. Or shot gun a beer. So classy. I’m sure my mother is so proud.
2) Tailgating – The food, the games, the socializing… I love it!
3) College Game Day – I’ve had a crush on Kirk Herbstreit since I was like 14. And as a Nole, I love Lee Corso! Even though I’m a Jaguars season ticket holder, I’m still a college football fan at heart. I love getting up on Saturday mornings, going for a long run, coming home and showering, and watching College Game Day.
4) Friends – I’ve made a lot of great friends because of football, and the Jaguars family is so awesome.
5) And of course, the game itself – It’s a love-hate relationship, but I’m a masochist.
How many of you were expecting me to say “Dudes in tight pants?” WELL I DIDN’T. So yeah.
How is it August already? Seriously? Not that I’m complaining, because, well, football, and next month is my birthday. Summer is flying by and before I know it, I’ll be going for crisp, cool long runs (a girl can dream, right?). But for now, I have to take joy in other simple things… like these:
1) Running – I’ve been bit by the running bug like crazy the past few weeks. Well, not like crazy, but consistently. Tonight is the Stadium Challenge 5k, and I’m pretty stoked to run it!
2) Jaguars Football – This year, I bit the bullet and got season tickets. Last night was the Bold City Brigade Season Kick Off Party at Shim Sham Room, and it was a BLAST.
3) Nivea Vanilla and Macadamia Kiss Lip Butter – Tastes like a cupcake and leaves your lips super smooth. Get it.
4) Prosecco – It’s cold. It’s bubbly. It’s fun. Do I need to give more of an explanation?
5) Vacation – I’m headed to Philly this month to go visit this girl. Stay tuned for tales of our utter nonsense.
Bonus: The new album from The Civil Wars. You can stream it on iTunes for free right now, and holy crap, it’s epic. I’ve been listening to it nonstop for days.
What are you loving for August?
PS – Don’t forget to enter my giveaway!